Thursday, November 14, 2013

Newsboy

A couple exciting things to talk about today.

First off, I got a call from Son's school yesterday. The exchange was pretty limited and went something like:

School Office: "I'm calling about Gabe."

Me: "Uh oh. Is everything okay?"

School Office: "There's been an emergency. He's probably going to need stitches. We had to call an ambulance. I need you to come to the school."

Me: "Okay. I'll be there in a few minutes."

So as I was driving up, a fire truck was leaving and a police car was pulling in. I was taken directly out to the playground where son was on a gurney in an ambulance, looking perfectly relaxed like this was nothing out of the ordinary. His entire neck and shirt and both hands were covered in blood and he wasn't even phased. Turns out, he'd been playing tag with some other kids on the jungle gym and he'd been hanging from a bar, getting ready to drop into a slide and had thrown his head back and smacked it on one of the monkey bars. The assistant principal and the principal were outside on playground attendant duty and they said he reacted perfectly. He sat down and put his head down and covered it with both hands. All the other kids freaked out at the amount of blood, but Son was fine.

After giving names and addresses and birth dates to the paramedics and the cops, Son was taken to the hospital. The assistant principal drove me in her car and one of the Special Education teachers who works with son drove my car so they could go back to the school together. Husband eventually realized I'd tried calling him a bunch of times when his ringer was off, and he came to the hospital from his allergy shot appointment. The time in the hospital passed pretty quickly. A nurse taught Son a magic trick as a distraction, then cleaned up his neck and hands and hair. They numbed him and stapled him up, then we waited around for a while for discharge papers. I kept him home today because he prefers to run and jump and never stops moving and the more he moves, the more the wound oozes blood. He will have a shower tonight and will be back to school tomorrow morning.

***

My other exciting news is that I got accepted into the Polymer Clay Artists Guild of Etsy. It's exactly what it sounds like. Everyone has been very welcoming so far and generous with offers of help and advice. They have a monthly challenge for members and do regular charity donations (including donating to Beads of Courage!). I'm only a day in to the adventure so I don't have much else to say about it yet, but I'm excited for the opportunity to meet so many amazing clay artists and to learn a lot of new things :)

***

So that's all I've got for now. Hopefully new work to post soon. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: