Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Reasons why I hate my stepmother: #39012823483748917289

My father has been in the hospital for more than a week now. On Saturday, June 23, my stepmom called and said he was so sick that he couldn't do anything besides lay on the floor in front of the fan. I told her to put ice packs on his wrists and ankles. She wouldn't. I told her that he could DIE if she didn't take him to the hospital. He wouldn't go. She wouldn't make him. I called my brother and told him (since he hangs out at their house all the time) to go put wet wash cloths on him and to go out and buy some ice packs and put them in the freezer. To his credit, he did. Five hours or so later, stepmother texted me to say that the ice packs really helped. *sigh*

Sunday they were supposed to come over for dinner, and when Husband called to find out if they were coming, evil stepmother said they were on their way to Longmont United Hospital because he was crazy dehydrated and almost died (which is when I thought, but didn't say, "I told you so"). From there, he was taken by ambulance down to Good Samaritan Medical Center. He had a feeding tube put in on Monday. After he'd been in the hospital for five days, I called evil stepmother and TOLD her to bring his toothbrush and clean underwear since she had done neither. She brought them and took them home. She ALSO brought her obnoxious, pushy friend who decided it would be necessary to bitch about everything the nurses and hospital did, even though she didn't know anything about it.

On Thursday he had a chemo port put in. I went over to the hospital to wait because stepmother thought it was more important to take the damn stray cat to the vet. On Friday, he was asleep when Husband and I went to see him. On Saturday morning he was up and looked pretty good. We didn't go over on Sunday because we were working on the guest bedroom.

Yesterday morning (Monday), stepmother called me at 8:30 to inform me that she was going to go over to the hospital and take my dad out. Why? Because the hospital has an "attitude". She couldn't tell me what she didn't like or what she thought they should be doing, just that they had an attitude. She said she was going to take him back to Longmont United where the cancer oncologist is going to miraculously make everything all better. I tried explaining to her that if he leaves AMA (against medical advice) that there isn't ANY doctor who will treat him so she'd better get her plan together ahead of time. She said my dad hates it in the hospital (uh, yeah, who DOESN'T hate laying in a hospital for a week?!) and that he wants out.

Two weeks prior I'd given her the number to an Esophageal Cancer group at the National Cancer Institute at Anschutz Medical Center in Denver. She never called them. I asked her if she was going to. Yes. I told her to talk to them and Longmont United and talk to my dad about what option sounded best. She never called. She also told me two weeks ago that she'd filed his paperwork for Medicaid since he's no longer working because of all this. This morning I talked to her on the phone and she was supposedly on her way to file the paperwork. She lies about EVERYTHING and most of it is stuff that doesn't matter.

Last night the doctors told her that if there isn't a drastic change in his health, he has six weeks :(

I. hate. her.

No comments: