Sunday, February 20, 2011

Procrastinators Anonymous

Really, I should be cleaning up the house. We moved in seven months ago and it's still a disaster. But instead, I'm looking at knitting patterns and avoiding making lunch for Children.

I went and purchased the "I Taught Myself Crochet" kit yesterday. It's upstairs on the puzzle table, unopened. Puzzle table? Yeah. Husband bought a dining table to put in our bedroom for the sole purpose of putting jigsaw puzzles together. It's actually a good way for us to spend time together as we don't tend to talk out loud a lot. But it brings about another prime example of my tendency to procrastinate. We have approximately 50 puzzles stacked up in the closet, waiting to be put together. We also have 4 or 5 rolled up in felt puzzle rollers, waiting to be finished. We have a few that are finished, but they're glued together and clamped between poster board so that we can mount them and, theoretically, hang them up.

Anyway, the crochet kit is sitting on the empty puzzle table. There are skeins of yarn stacked all over my art shelves, half of them unraveled at the hands of Daughter the Curious. On a good note, the baby blanket squares are almost finished. I have four more to make and then I can block them and put them together. Then I have yet to decide on the finishing for the edges and learning to make the crocheted flowers.

Hopefully, New Baby will wait to be born. There have been a few times over the last week that we thought we might have to go to the hospital. Regular contractions, baby putting heavy pressure on my pelvis, changing positions doesn't help, orange juice doesn't help. Yesterday morning, desperation set in and we went for a walk in the cold. It worked, so we came home and things have been relatively calm since then. I'd rather not go through all that excitement again for the next couple of months.

This morning, Grandmother told me that my knitting looks very nice, especially for the fact that I'm still just learning. That was a huge compliment in my eyes because she's been knitting and crocheting forever and she's made some very beautiful things.

As it were, I should get up and go do something. Like clean all the toys off the stairs, as I'm sure Children have a secret plot to kill me. And then maybe I'll go clean the mirrors in the bathroom and gather up all the recycling and...


No. I think I'm going to go knit another square. Screw this housework nonsense.



No comments: